Visitors and Tour Groups
We welcome visitors from the local community, Hobart, other parts of Tasmania, interstate, and overseas.
Located just 20 km south of Hobart, we are easily accessed on the Channel Highway, Margate. The proximity to Hobart makes the Channel Heritage Museum a great destination for short travelers from Hobart, especially Cruise Ship visitors.
The museum has ample car and bus parking.
Guided tours are available at no additional cost upon request.
A discount of $6.00 per adult applies to pre-booked group visits.
A discount of $3.00 per adult applies to aged care and vulnerable adult groups (carer admissions fees are included in this price).
Email email@example.com to book a museum visit.
There are numerous things to see and do in the Kingborough and Channel regions.
Here a few of the most popular:
- Shot Tower, Taroona
- Margate Train
- Inverawe Native Gardens, Margate
- Brookfield Shed, Margate
- Nandroya Wines, Margate
- Bruny Island
- Herons Rise Vineyard, Kettering
- Nutpatch Chocolates, Kettering
- Hartzview Vineyard, Gardners Bay
- Grandvewe cheese, Birchs Bay
- Peppermint Bay, Woodbridge
- Woodbridge Smokehouse
- Kingborough Council Snug to Margate shared path
- Kingborough Council Walking Tracks
- Harmony Harvest Health Spa Retreat, Margate
Suggested short round trip from/to Hobart
Our visitors often find a great 'round trip' can be scheduled as:
- The Shot Tower at Taroona via Channel Highway (B68)
- The Channel Museum
- Return to Hobart via the Southern Outlet (A6)
This short Channel loop could be scheduled for about three hours and is ideal for Cruise Ship passengers.
A slightly more leisurely all-day trip, taking in more of the Channel
With a mix of history, food and wine, a suggested trip from Hobart includes:
- Shot Tower at Taroona via Channel Highway
- Channel Museum at Margate
- Nutpatch chocolates at Kettering
- Woodbridge Smokehouse at Woodbridge
- Grandvewe Cheeses and Distillery at Birchs Bay
- Hartzview Wines and the historic "Pickers Huts" at Gardners Bay
- Cygnet town
- Huonville town
- Return to Hobart via A6.
This trip provides a perfect snapshot of the beauty and bounty of the Channel.
The RACT says "the loop from Margate through the Channel to the Huon Valley is one of the prettiest coastal drives in Tasmania".