School Groups visiting the Channel Museum
In collaboration with school staff, we conduct specialist-guided educational tours for school student groups.
- Group bookings for school visits are essential. When making the booking, the volunteers at the museum need to know: the name of the school, the preferred visiting dates, grade level, number of students visiting, preferred session time(s), and the name of the teacher(s).
- We ask that each teacher make at least one pre-visit to the museum before the students' visit.
- We are able to provide three sessions during the day:
o Session 1: 10.00am - 11.00am
o Session 2: 11.30am - 12.30pm
o Session 3: 1.00 pm - 2.00pm
We can provide some flexibility with the times if required. This can be discussed with our school visit coordinator, Andrew Tomes.
- We can only cater for one class at a time, ideally a maximum of around 25 students. If an extra class shares a bus, Dru Point can be an excellent venue while waiting or for recess/lunch. At Dru Point, there are toilets, covered areas, barbecues (some need bookings through the Kingborough Council), and a playground. The museum also has an outside area with a table suitable for recess/lunch, weather permitting.
- The school is charged $2.50 for each student. Teacher(s) & adult helpers are free. An invoice will be issued on the day.
- It usually takes between 40 and 60 minutes to view the exhibits, depending on the class grade level.
- We have a policy (for a number of reasons) of dividing the class into groups of 4-5 students for each visit. It is helpful if the children know their group before their visit. The use of name tags is particularly useful.
- Each group will be provided with one of our ‘school guides’ to take them around the museum.
- For each group, we require 1 adult/teacher to be provided by the school to support our guide.
- We can provide some suggestions for activities back in class and/or in the course of the visit.
- A Risk Management Plan covering the period of the class visit to the museum can be provided upon request.
- An artefact/object box containing 24 additional ‘old items’ is available to borrow for $1.00 per school day.