School Groups visiting the Channel Museum
In collaboration with school staff, we conduct specialist guided educational tours for school student groups.
- Group bookings for school visits are essential. When making the booking the volunteers at the Centre need to know: the name of the school, the preferred visiting dates, grade level, number of students visiting, preferred session time(s) and the name of the teacher(s).
- We ask that each teacher make at least one pre-visit to the Centre before the students visit.
- We are able to provide three sessions during the day:
o Session 1: 10.00am - 11am
o Session 2: 11.30am - 12.30pm
o Session 3: 1.00 pm - 2.00pm
These times are flexible but it is important that the teacher discuss any alternatives before the class visit. Remember, another class from another school may be following your visit on the same day.
- We can only cater for one class at a time -a maximum of around 30 students. If an extra class shares a bus, Dru Point can be an excellent venue while waiting, or for recess/lunch. At Dru Point there are toilets, covered areas + barbecues (some need bookings through the Kingborough Council) and a playground.
- The school is charged $2 for each student per hour (or part thereof). Teacher(s) & adult helpers free. The school will be invoiced.
- It usually takes between 40 and 60 minutes to view the exhibits, depending on the class grade level.
- We have a policy (for a number of reasons) of dividing the class into groups of 5-6 students for each visit. It is helpful if the children know their group before their visit. The use of name tags is particularly useful.
- Each group will be provided with one of our ‘School Volunteers’ to guide them around the Centre.
- For each group, we require 1 adult/teacher to be provided by the school to support our volunteer.
- We can provide some suggestions for activities back in class and/or in the course of the visit.
- A Risk Management Plan covering the period of the class visit to the Centre can be provided.
- An Object/Artefact Box containing 24 additional ‘old items’ is available to borrow. ($1 per night + $10 delivery + $10 collected). There is a great demand on this resource, so early booking is advised.